Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Doctors are getting younger these days

So, I just found this blog by accident while looking for something Doctor Who related and realized it was mine. Obviously, it's been a while.

Time does speed up the older you get, and events fly at you out of nowhere. I was never this surprised by the world when I was younger. Childlike wonder is a misnomer. I think the world is more awe-striking when you're moving through it quickly, than when you're a kid and you're moving through time like soup. When you can do things to the world as well as the world doing things to you, or at least, just seems to be happening all around you while you're in a cosy little bubble.

An example of the shocks the world brings: suddenly, Doctor Who is younger than me. I like the look of him, though. Looks alien, in a very English way. And Morrissey's America song's been put out of date (does he have something to say to America, now that the President is one of the "nevers"?)

Oh, and I've woken up in a world in which women aren't funny, according to Germaine Greer. My instinct is to respond with a list of funny women (because all the theoretical argument is dull and pointless in the way of all generalisations), but actually, I don't think I need to make one - or rather, I can't. Where do you start and stop? So many funny women.

So I'll just leave it at two words: Just William. Though I should probably add "by Richmal Crompton". And maybe "who is a girl by the way." She's even funnier than PG Wodehouse. I posted her definition of political parties (according to William Brown) as a comment on the Germaine Greer thingie. Well, I say her definition, but it was my memory of it. I'd like to look it up. Hmm.... can't remember which Just William book it was in though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home